Top 10 Reasons to Become a Credit Union Member
1. Better interest rates and lower fees.
2. Full line of products and services—car loans, home loans, online bill pay, you name it!
3. Convenience—free ATM access all across the country.
4. Credit unions build relationships--you're not just a number.
5. Customer service consistently ranks higher than other financial institutions.
6. Credit unions give back to the community.
7. Your money is safe and sound and insured.
The not-for-profit status is a very important distinction that separates credit unions from other financial institutions. It means credit unions return their profits (what's left after paying expenses) directly to you.This is how credit unions can offer better returns on savings, lower rates on loans, and new or improved services.
Don't let the term “membership” scare you. It simply means you have a say in some of the activities of your local credit union, should you want it. It also means you are treated with the same respect as everyone else.
10. Locally owned
Credit unions are locally owned by members.